The County Seal
An early account
book shows that on March 2, 1796 Middlesex County paid 3 pounds, 15
shillings for a County Seal. There is no record of what it looked
like. During the Civil War the Common Seal was pressed on bounty certificates.
The earliest copy similar to our present seal is on a document of
1885. A modernized version with the words reversed and the date of
formation of our county added, is shown here.
No record has
been founded of what the symbols stood for. The scales, obviously
representing justice appeared on many seals, including the earlier
seals of East and West Jersey. The plough usually signified the importance
of agriculture. The horse's head may have related to both agricultural
and commerce, or it may have been chosen as a symbol of strength.
Do the 9 stripes and balls signify the 9 municipalities of 1869?
In July, 1997,
The Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders modified the county
seal to include the 9 balls, the horse's head and the words reading
from left to right.