Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office

                                 25 Kirkpatrick Street, 3rd Floor, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 08901 (732) 745-3300

 

                              *News Release*                 Date: July 19, 2011

 
 

       

 

 

 

 

 

Crime Stoppers offers rewards for arrests in shootings; assaults

 

 

          Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce J. Kaplan announced today that cash rewards are being offered to anyone who anonymously provides information that leads to arrests in a series of incidents in New Brunswick, North Brunswick and neighboring Franklin Township in Somerset County.

 

          Those with information are urged to call Crime Stoppers of Middlesex County Inc. at 1-800-939-9600, or contact the Crime Stoppers website at middlesextips. com. Arrangements will be made for cash payments to those who anonymously provide information that results in arrests.

 

Members of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office, the New Brunswick Police Department, the North Brunswick Police Department and the Franklin Township Police Department are actively investigating ten incidents that occurred between May 3, 2011, and July 12, 2011.

 

The incidents began on May 3, 2011 at 8:05 p.m. when a 24-year-old Franklin Township man was walking home after a workout at Naaman Williams Park on Mark Street in Franklin and was wounded by gunfire. Police subsequently learned that a 36-year-old South Brunswick man also was wounded at the park.

 

On July 3, 2011, a 22-year-old Franklin man told police he was knocked to the ground and severely beaten at 12:20 a.m. while he was walking in the Arbors apartment complex in the township.

 

Also on July 3, 2011, at 3:01 p.m., a 6-foot, thin, black male, wearing a blue shirt, fired a shot at another unidentified black male on Bair Avenue in Franklin. No suspect or victim has been located.

 

On July 6, 2011 at 1:22 p.m., Franklin Township police were dispatched to Norman Avenue and Martin Street in response to a report of shots being fired. They determined that the rear window of a green mini-van, found parked on Franklin Boulevard, had been damaged by gunfire. A witness said two men were arguing before one man fled in the mini-van and the other began firing.

 

Also on July 6, 2011, at 8:19 p.m., New Brunswick police were notified of a drive-by shooting, in which one of four males in a brown vehicle opened fire and struck a house on Somerset Street in New Brunswick. Five men standing outside the home were not injured.

 

Later that day, at 10:22 p.m., a 19-year-old man was shot in the ankle and the wrist at the same location on Somerset Street in New Brunswick. An investigation determined that multiple shots were fired from a vehicle. Shots also struck a vehicle, a house on Somerset Street and a house on Laurel Place in New Brunswick.

 

On July 7, 2011, a tall, thin black male driving a blue car fired multiple shots at a silver vehicle in the area of Phillips Court in Franklin Township at 2:25 p.m. No injuries were reported.

 

On July 8, 2011 at 1:40 a.m., New Brunswick police determined that shots were fired at a vehicle on Throop Avenue. A passenger tried to get out of the vehicle and was dragged on the ground and was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick.

 

Also on July 8, 2011, at 11:22 a.m., a three-year-old girl was injured when she was struck by a bullet fragment at a McDonald’s restaurant on Somerset Street in New Brunswick.

 

On July 12, 2011, at 3:38 a.m., North Brunswick police were dispatched to the Omega Diner on Route 1 South in response to a report of gunshots being fired.

 

While officers were responding, a second call to police reported shots also were fired from a vehicle in the vicinity of Hidden Lake Drive and Nathan Drive in North Brunswick.